- Using a program or service to "Submit your site to 10,000 Search Engines" is a good idea. – There aren’t anywhere near 10,000 engines. Actually there are less than 10 true search engines. These true search engines count for 80 to 99% of all traffic( depending on which study you read). Most of these ‘10,000’ engines are actually ‘link farms’. The only affect of submitting your web site to these ‘link farms’ is often very little traffic to your web site but lots of extra ‘spam email’. For a global web site the maximum number of search engines and indexes that a web site should be submitted to is less than 500 and for a uk only web site less than 50. The current "top" search engine by usage is google.
- "traditional" marketing is more effective than search engine optimization. – It is very expensive to send bulk email, television, radio and newspaper advertising. There is usually a very low response per pound spent on this type of advertising except for the very big brand names. The search engines deliver people looking for specific products and services to your web site at a relatively low cost. Positioning marketing in conjunction with website optimization has been proven again and again to be very beneficial. The higher you are in the search results the better.
- It’s all about meta tags and submissions – The large search engines will virtually ignore web sites if your meta tags or keywords are not relevant to your web site Google for example completely ignores meta tags due to constant abuse by webmasters. It is pointless to submit a web site without a careful analysis of the web site content and optimization of the web site The search engines will ignore it and may penalize you for constantly submitting a badly written web site
- Little content, big ‘flash’ animated pages and lots of pictures will get me noticed – Search engines need content and constantly changing pages. Most search engines except for maybe google cannot read flash web pages. Search engines read your web site as pure text. They can’t read text on pictures for example.
- Lots of repeat content will get me a high ranking – Search engines use very complicated algorithms to rank web sites Bad content will get you a very low ranking with search engines. Often big chunks of a web site will need to be rewritten to make the web site ‘search engine friendly’.
- I have a high ranking I don’t need to bother changing my content – Search engines in particularly google change their algorithms frequently and will penalize web site who’s content doesn’t change, or if a web site with more relevant content comes along. Constant ‘tweaking’ is needed to retain a top position. Search engines are popular and gain advertising money from relevant content. 10 years ago Altavista was the king of the search engines now very few people use it and it has been absorbed into yahoo.
- Search engineering is easy. Just submit my web site and I will get to the top. – There are various companies that will ‘guarantee top positions’ by use of several techniques and use of link farms although positioning is usually very short lived. Use of these techniques is very heavily frowned on by the major search engines. For example a certain web site could obtain position 3 on google for 1 day for a particular search term and then be position 798 the next day as soon as the software engineers at google are alerted to the irrelevant ranking. Google will probably have added a weighting to this web site so that it can’t get back to the top again for a while.
Basic rules for all search engines is that yoiur content must be well written, unique, relevant and easlily readable.
What we don’t do!
- we don’t guarantee a top ranking on google within a month. While this is possible using several ‘techniques’ your ranking will drop very quickly. If any company offers you this type of service be very wary. Yes they can get you a high ranking in month 1 and they get paid as they have done as promised but in the long term your web site traffic will severely suffer. This is now commonly known as Black Hat Search engine optimization and can get you banned from a search engine for life. Several techniques used by black hat consultants are spamdexing(hidden doorway pages), invisible text and keyword stuffing.We are White Hat Search engine optimization Consultants which means that we use search engine friendly website optimisation.
What we do do!
- We will analyze your current positioning on all the major search engines to get an initial ranking. This is usually limited to 500 results from each search engine.
- We will analyze your business and liaise with you to decide upon a set of keywords or phrases that are best suited to your business and are most financially beneficial. It is pointless for example to use something like ‘cars’ as a keyword. Google has 466 million web sites with some relevance to this keyword. The chances of getting a high ranking without using paid advertising or paid keywords is very small. While paid listings can be useful for short term ‘promotions’ they can be very expensive for a long term marketing strategy.
- When we have agreed on appropriate keywords and phrases we will then thoroughly analyze your existing web site and suggest appropriate changes to optimize your web site for submitting to the search engines.
- We will also analyze your web site to enhance your users experience. It is pointless getting 10000 visitors a day if the web site is not user friendly and very few buy anything.
- We will reanalyze your web site as many times as needed to ensure the best possible chance of gaining a high ranking.
- We will then submit your web site to the main search engines and the most relevant feeder search engines. For a uk web site this is usually up to 46 search engines and indexes. For a world wide web site this is anything up to 460 search engines and indexes.
- We will monitor your search engines positions and may suggest further changes to optimize your search engine positions.
- From experience it will take circa 3 to 6 months to achieve an acceptable ranking on the major search engines. Using a carefully structured approach will ensure that once a suitable positioning has been achieved that your web site will maintain this suitable positioning in the long term. 12 months is possible if a major rewrite of the web site is required or in an especially competitive market sector.
- Prices will vary depending on the type of web site, keywords required and amount of optimization required. As an example a typical 3 (single) page (non template/ecommerce) web site will take anywhere from 2 to 5 days to optimize initially and 3-8 hours a month after that to ‘tweak’ search engine positions. Depending on amount of optimization needed prices range from £250 to £500 for the first month and from £50 to £150 per month after that based on a 12 month contract.
- As we are a small company we have low overheads and are therefore able to offer very keen pricing comparing to some of the large companies that charge upwards of £3000 to optimize a single web site
- We can also check your web site for compliance with the Disability Discrimination Act or suitability for colour blind persons at no cost included in your search engine package.
As an example www.1stoptechshop.co.uk currently has 989 index positions in google. One of our optimised keywords is "computer shop chorley" and if you look on the first 3 pages of google.co.uk we have positions 1,2,16,17,18 and 21 – 30.
Our rankings in google also mean that we have
top 5 rankings on the other main uk search engines altavista.co.uk/com, aol.co.uk/com, ask.co.uk, bing.co.uk/com, lycos.co.uk, msn.co.uk, Orange.co.uk and yahoo.co.uk/com